Wednesday, March 14, 2007

(X) Thuh-uh-uh-uh Yankees win!

Details here.

Honest to God, I've forgotten yesterday's opponent already.

Is this kid Karstens (four shutout innings) the real thing? Will Proctor and Kardiac Kyle (scoreless innings both) be able to comb their hair come September 1?

And how will this Yankee team do against left-handed pitching? The Yankees achieved Boston Massacre II by feasting on a Boston bullpen that couldn't deliver up a decent lefty for a lefty-lefty match-up.

And:

Most things that happen in sports are a stunner.

USA 4
USSR 3

Yeah, I saw that HBO special for about the twentieth time. And I thought about the 1996 New York Yankees, who were bounced in the first two games of the World Series and came back, 4-0--improbably, improbably, on the wings of a suffocating bullpen and a whole host of prospects (Bernie, Jeter, Mo, Andy) who decided to blossom at the same moment.

I'll give other people "Do you believe in Miracles?" I'll take Charlie Hayes gathering in the third out of Game 6.

I was thirty years old in 1995. I said, "If the Yankees never win again, I've enjoyed enough."

And then I was treated to four crowns in five years. Gravy. Gravy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was working at channel 3 in 1996. I was driving to a story working the late shift. Vin Scully was doing the national radio broadcast and it was game 3. Had to drive all the way out to Apache Junction.

Obviously it was a very memorable drive.......

texasyank said...

Ah yes. David Cone imploring Torree to leave him in: "I'll get him, I'll get him."

And Mo striking out the Crime Dog with men on in the seventh. I was in a C & W bar and I jumped off my bar stool and shouted, earning me a glare from some of the two-steppers on the dance floor.

Ah, good times.