Thursday, August 30, 2007

New York 4, Boston 3

Ecch. A great game I had to follow, inning by inning, off the hand-operated scoreboard at Minute Maid Park: arriving to a 3-0 lead in the fifth, then 3-1 heading into the eighth. When the Sox scored two in the eighth to draw to 4-3, I thought, Oh, too bad, Chamberlain finally gave up a run. Eight appearances, ten innings, no runs: the nicest story of August.

So: the Yankees hang on to win, Astro-Girl and I come home (nice Astro win, Oswalt and Co. shut out the Cardinals), I pull up the box score and . . .

Oh. Farnsworth. Kardiac Kyle strikes again: 2/3s of an inning, two hits, two runs, one homer.

I see what the Yankees are doing with Chamberlain: the exact opposite of what happened to Flash Godron, Proctor, Farnsworth, Sturtze and the few others put through the Torre Set-Up Meatgrinder.

I agree in principle. But, as Rich Lowry wrote a few weeks ago in The Corner, perhaps Torre should rely more on the ebb and flow of the season than one-on, one-off.

So: pull within Six. Closer in the Wild Card. And two wins in the series.

No comments: