Saturday, October 14, 2006

Snow in Buffalo

In October. Via > http://www.brendanloy.com/2006/10/buffalo-buried.html>The Irish Trojan.

Perhaps I'm only amusing myself, but I always do the same thing in these circumstances. I write, Well thank God for global warming, or it would be worse. This always prompts the same response: Global warming causes more extreme tempratures, blah blah blah.

Well, all right. We are just now coming out of one of the most benign hurricane seasons in recent memory. So perhaps things are not as bad as all that?

Well, of course not. Available information, if not proof of global warming, is to be discounted.

Look, is the world getting warmer? Porbably, just as--thirty-five years ago--it was cooling, and every available authority (including psychics polled in The Book of Lists #2) predicted an imminent Ice Age. Is there anything we can do about it? Probably not. Will it end in catastrophe? Maybe, just as icebergs carved out the Great Lakes and a meteor did in the dinosaurs. And maybe not.

Look, I feel guilty enough about the poor and the undereducated. I refuse to feel guilty about the weather.

No comments: