Friday, May 05, 2006

Cinco Paul

Allow me to take a moment to wish a happy birthday to a special friend of mine.

There are many things I could say about Cinco Paul, a screenwriter and father of three, husband to a brilliant and wonderful doctor, and all-around great guy.

His website, by the way, is here.

What I'll say is this. When I was young and stupid, when we both were on our high school debate team, I messed him over worse thn I've ever messed anyone over in my life.

I don't know how many people could supply a ready answer to the following question: What was the worst decision you ever made in your life? For me, it is easy. Messing Cinco Paul when I did. Worst thing.

And how did he respond? He was my enemy for six months. Then, neutral. And finally, he took me in as a third to the friendship he had with his friend Marty Sliwinski, and a world I had no right to enter. This was a world of movies, of books, of plays--something tht had always been a rumor.

Tem years ago this month I achieved my PhD, an honor I would not have achieved if not for Cinco pushing me to be the person I could be. Cinco, God love you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Joe. That was a great birthday present. You need to be careful; I'm getting emotional in my old age.

That event in high school looms large in my life as well, but for different reasons. I regret those six months I lost because of my inability to forgive. And as I recall, it was you who extended the hand of reconciliation--the "Do well" in the dressing room.

You are a great friend.

Unknown said...

If you enjoyed the movie Despicable Me, you’ll probably enjoy this Mr. Media Radio interview with screenwriters Ken Daurio and Cinco Paul. http://www.mrmedia.com/2010/07/despicable-me-screenwriters-cinco-paul.html They also wrote Horton Hears a Who! and are working on an adaptation of The Lorax.