Saturday, July 15, 2006

Last word on the head-butter

My golf buddy, James, wondered why I hadn't written anything on last week's World Cup unpleasantness. The answer is that I hadn't anything to add. Head-butting in that situation was inexcusably stupid. It was as if Vince Young came on the field with two minutes to go in the Rose Bowl, with the ball on the forty, and slugged Reggie Bush.

But everyone else wrote that before I did, so why bother?

Today, though, I saw two things on my leading information source, Fox News. On "Fox News Watch," one of the commentators (the red-headed guy) said that if an American had behaved thus, there would be Security Council resolutions in the United Nations. This, I believe. One of the rules of modern journalism is that bad individual American and Israeli (sometimes British) actions are always part of some larger picture, whereas French (or whoever's) actions are not.

The second, on "Beltway Boys," was the report that French Prime Minister Jacque Chirac's insistence that the head butter is a national hero. Sheesh. Those two deserve one another, and France deserves them both.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice! Where you get this guestbook? I want the same script.. Awesome content. thankyou.
»