Saturday, September 16, 2006

Too bad, if true

From the Corner:

'The Black Dahlia' Is Extremely Bad [John Podhoretz]

To describe The Black Dahlia as one of the worst movies ever made is an insult to many of the worst movies ever made. And it has what may be the single most ridiculous climax I've ever seen. It's almost worth seeing so you can stare open-mouthed at the screen in abject disbelief as the movie proposes its risible solution to the real-life unsolved murder that obsessed Los Angeles 60 years ago. Notice I said "almost." It's not worth seeing. Under any circumstances. Ever.


I was looking forward to The Black Dahlia more than any movie I can remember. My fathere introduced me to old-timey Los Angeles films (Chinatown, True Confessions) and I carried that love forward to the adaptation of James Ellroy's L.A. Confidential, one of my dozen or so favorite movies ever. I read--and loved--Black Dahlia in the form of Ellroy's novel, and looked forward to Brian De Palma's adaptation. Was a little concerned about the cast (Jason Hartnett as a lead detective?), but otherwise could not wait.

I'd love to discount Podorhretz's reaction, except 1) J-Pod usually knows his onions, and 2) Too many others already agree with him.

So it's off to Hollywoodland.

No comments: