Sunday, July 22, 2007

Padraig Harrington wins British--oh, sorry, "The Open"

Luck O' the Irish indeed.

Where else but at Carnoustie does a golfer go water, penalty, water, penalty, up, and then down for a double bogie on the 72nd hole . . . and find himself in a playoff?

I would have loved it, incidentally, if Harrington had bounced his tee shot on 18 over the bridge in regulation. I've skipped so many shots over so many bridges at the local courses my friends have come to calling the shot my "Irish wedge."

So? So Sergio, given a seven-footer for the victory on 18, lips it out. Then Harrington wins in a playoff.

Up the Irish, as my Nanny used to say, especially when listening to Harrington's post-match interview: "I love me Claret Jug almost as much as me Lucky Charms."

No comments: