Saturday, July 21, 2007

Yankees 7, D-Back 3; Yankees 17, D-Backs 5

We all have those moments. If if if . . . if the light turns green, I would be sick all winter.

First game, fourth inning. I called up the score: 2-0 D-Backs.

"If they lose this game," I said aloud, "The season is over."

The first game was why naps exist.

Well, put it this way: I am continually in search of Christmas morning in my life. GSB will remember my habit at a restaurant: Order my food, wait five minutes, go to the restroom. In a perfect world, upon my return, Ah! My Mexican Flag Chicken. Or my Chicken Parm. My dinner, in short steamy and waiting for me at my place.

Christmas morning.

So, to recapitulate:

2-0 D-Backs. The Yankees' worst starting pitcher, Igawa, was on the mound, and wriggling out of one jam after another. (If this were Office Space, Brian Cashman would be perusing Igawa's performance file, and saying, "Iga . . . wa, I . . . ga . . . wa . . . Igawanting another job soon, anyway, ha ha ha," right before promoting That Guy from Swingers to Assistant to the Travelling Secretary.)

Clouds rolling in. Houston. 51 days of rain out of the last 53.

In other words, time for a nap.

I slept. I awoke. And it was a new day.

Down 2-0 in the fourth of Game 1, the Yankees outscored the D-Backs 24-6 over the next 14 innings to sweep, and put themselves back in.

What is happening here is no fluke. More than anything, the quiet bats of May and June have heated up, specifically Cano, Abreu and Matsui (combined 9-for-13 in the nightcap). A-Rod came out of his mini-slump ten games ago, Jeter and Posada have stayed steady all season, and Melky is, well, growing in office. (What's the over-under on the Yankees' attempt to eat Damon's contract? Does he really have three years to go after this one? Who do they think they are, the Knicks?)

Make no mistake: there are huge holes here. SunDevil Joe reported some a few nights ago. They need a second catcher, some power at first base, some more power from the right side, and one more arm in the bullpen, with Kardiac Kyle's days apparently numbered. (Kyle might be the one commodity the Yanks could part with without too much pain--especially in the National League, where he could feast on pinch-hitters in the late innings.)

But take a look at the Astros these days and see how things might have easily gone coming out of the break.

Now, some hope.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mexican Flag Chicken! Arg. When I came to your wedding, I drove by there and there was no there anymore. Sad.

And listen -- I had the pneu once, and I swear, it took six months before my lungs were "right" again. So be respectful of what your body has been through, and be good to yourself. Naps. Exactly.

GSB

texasyank said...

Way ahead of you.