Sunday, April 26, 2009

Sox Sweep

Knew it was coming. Knew it was coming. Knew . . .

Ah, what's the use? I used every excuse not to watch the game, all the way up to and including taking Astro-Girl's car to the gas station put air in a tire, then drive azll the way home, then out again.

Our newest car will tell you if a tire needs are. It won't tell you which tire, and since the equipment is so sensitive you'll never find out simply by kicking the vulcanized rubber. You need a tire gauge, which I took some time finding. Lovely use of a Sunday evening.

Come home, turn on Jeff Goldblum's debut on Law and Order: Criminal Intent.

Commercial.

Astro-Girl: "Don't you want to at least check out the score?" Turn on the small TV in the kitchen.

Commercial.

Left the TV on, set it to mute, walked back to the living room . . . then spent the rest of the evening peeking around the corner, like a kid on the lookout for a truant officer.

1-0 Yankees.

"Only a matter of time," I said.

1-1 Red Sox.

"Only a matter of time," I said.

Went away, came back. 4-1 Boston.

"Ballgame," I said, and turned off the TV.

After the Aaron Boone game in 2003, one of Bill Simmons's readers memorably wrote that rooting for the Yankees was like rooting for the house in blackjack. Long time ago.

1 comment:

SunDevilJoe said...

I took the other approach and watched the game.I guess I would never not watch a Yankee Red Sox game. I was hopeful, but not convinced, the Yankees could win. However, with Berroa at 3rd (had a feeling that would be a problem since he is not a third baseman) and the bullpen wiped out, it was a tall order. I think the real problem is Teixeira. He had multiple opportunities this weekend to make a difference and didn't come through. I know he starts slow, but he needs to get going.