Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Still think "reset" was a bad idea?

'Stros 3, Cubs 2--10 innings.

What I know now.

1. When Lance Berkman strikes out with men on and the Astros losing by one run, do not describe the third strike to Astro-Girl.

Me: "Huh. Went chasing that high fastball."

Astro-Girl: "I know."

Me: "Yeah, okay."

Pause.

Astro-Girl: "I mean, I have eyes."

Me: "Yeah, okay. Fine."

Astro-Girl: "I mean, I'm sitting right here watching."

2. Nine out of every ten Astro mid-inning one-run leads has an expiration date. For tonight's reference, see Soriano, Alfonso.

3. We'll learn. Or else we won't. Decades ago, journeyman NBA center-forward Rich Kelley found himself with the Phoenix Suns. In his first game with his new team, a home game, he provided solid off the bench brio--say, 10 points and five rebounds--and with the game well in hand, left the floor to a standing O. Afterward, the attending sportwriters asked, essentially, Not a bad reception, ay?

"Don't worry," Kelley said. "They'll learn."

Regarding tonight's late-inning heroes, Michaels and Keppinger, we'll learn. Or else we won't.

No comments: