Friday, April 10, 2009

Yankees 11, Orioles 2

How tired do you have to be to take a nap while the Yankees lead the Orioles 3-2 in AJ Burnett's maiden Yankee start, in a game in which "Treacherous Tex" (Baltimore fans are really reaching for villains these days) has already homered?

Very tired.

Wednesday was a travel day. Arizona does not observe Daylight Savings Time--on the theory, I was told growing up, that DST would burn what little grass existed in the state. Or else DST was a Communist plot. Or we had so much daylight we didn't need to save it, thank you. The only effect on me growing up was that, sometime in October, Monday Night Football went from starting at six to starting at seven, and I had to listen to the end on the radio, in my room, in the dark.

So: basically between just after St. Patrick's Day and just before Halloween, Phoenix, which sits in the same time zone as El Paso, sets its clocks the same as San Diego.

So, in late afternoon, long past when the game should have been over. I awoke in my parents' casita. Didn't want to hear from my father. Didn't want to hear that Burnett had been the third Yankee millionaire to be knocked out of the box. That Rivera had given up a broken-bat blooper in the ninth, three inches past Jeter's glove.

No, more. I didn't so much as want to see the expression on my father's face that foretold bad news. I hid in the guest cottage and watched ESPN's scroll--luckily, for only ten minutes.

Well, all right then.

From Houston, Astro-Girl was on the phone. The Astros had been thumped by the Cards the previous night.

"I don't want to talk about it," she said. Then she proceeded to talk about it.

No comments: