Friday, April 17, 2009

What I wanted to say before

The first sports team I loved was the 1972 Boston Bruins.

This was the first team for which I had best four-of-seven explained to me. I was allowed to stay up for one period and then sent to bed. When the Bruins won the Stanley Cup, my mother waited until the following morning to slap the Boston Globe in front of me. Waking kids up to celebrate championships never took hold until (uh oh) 1986, when Red Sox Nation thought it had a World Series title in hand.

Okay, what I wanted to say. Wilt's 100 points cast a shadow over Bill Russell's 11 championships.

Oh, damnit, you know what I'm getting at. Bobby Orr, who as a stickhandler was second to none except Gretzky, had an Irish fistfighter's mentality, and therefore was the greatest hockey player ever.

The owners of the Bruins need to answer for why the franchise has devolved. If they win, I will dance in the streets.

1 comment:

SunDevilJoe said...

I have recently started to follow this years Stanley Cup series as the Bruins have been become a factor after disappearing for the last 20 or so years. However, I still can't name one important player but I might learn. During the Bobby Orr days I could name all three lines.

I think it's apropos that,in their resurgent year, they should face their old nemesis, the "Monreall" Canadians!