Tuesday, August 15, 2006

I wanna go to bed

Okay, it's midnight, and the Astros, who took a one-run lead into the top of the ninth before Lidge have up a tying home run (this is not a recording), are now . . . in the fifteenth inning, having put men on base every inning thereafter . . . but not score . . .

. . . and we move to the sixteenth. It has been 6-6 for two hours.

Both teams: out of pitchers soon.

Astro manager Phil Garner is about to go into the stands to re-activate Nolan Ryan.

Who'd probably strike out the side.

I'm a hostage of extra-innings baseball.

It's past midnight on a Tuesday--no, Wednesday now.

Hey, remember in Gremlins when that kid was told not to feed Fuzzball after midnight. Okay, right now it was just midnight, Wednesday morning.

Midnight is the beginning of the day.

Which means that . . . it's always after midnight!

So the only thing to do with a Gemlin is never feed him.

Where was I? Oh, yeah.

End this thing.

I wanna go to bed.

The traffic dude just said, "Minute Maid patrons, on their way home, should watch out for paperboys."

I was a paperboy once. December in Phoenix is freezing before dawn.

Bottom of the 16th.

Chris Burke, who came in the ninth as a defensive replacement, just reached first base for the fourth time . . .

. . . whereupon Mo Ensberg erased him on a fielder's choice.

Followed by Berkman's strikeout.

And now the last remaining pitcher, Burkowskl, must bat.

Ground out. We go the 17th.

I saw Gremlins with a friend's niece (nothing like that, she was my age). We seemed to have fun. The next thing I heard of her was five years later, when she was married to a guy who lectured everyone on how they needed to have a gun.

Oh, Astros and Cubs play again in less than twelve hours. Does that make this a night-day double header?

And why did Lidge have to give up that stupid home run?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As one can imagine, the Astros lost, 8-6: bottom of the 18th. Surprise, surprise.

Of course, they had their chances to win with men on bases in the 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th.....

I can't go on. It's too painful.

I sat watching the game thinking this can only be a nightmare that I will wake up from. My beloved 'Stros can't be this pathethic.

Even "Big Puma" couldn't strike out twice. The pitcher is Novoa for god sake; not Zambrano, who owns the Astros!!!

Around the 13th inning, you just want to tell "Burke" to hit another home-run, like the one he did in the 18th inning Braves game, because NO ONE WAS GOING TO DRIVE HIM ONE!!!!!!!!!

Now, where do I start with Lane? Purpura said he didn't clear waivers, so we're keeping him around giving him more opportunities to strike out, pop out or just flat out waste an out during crucial moments.

Perfect Example:
It made sense to put Lane in for defensefive purposes last night in the 8th and 9th; however, the decision to keep him instead of Scott going into the long stretches instead of Scott! A monkey could of made a better decision!

Scott, who has been murdering the ball EVERY time he steps up the to the plate. What do you think he chances would have been of Scott driving in the winning run??

But no, this was Lane's opportunity to shine!

I started a petition last night to send his butt down to Round Rock, then I realized this morning I true Astros fan, like myself, would drive him there myself!

Okay, Okay....I know some of you are saying that Gar saved Scott and Huff for today's game. Well, that would have made sense. However, he took them out a bit pre-mature.

What, you mean Gar thought the two guys -- Mo and Lane, who haven't been able to produce during critical at-bats all season, would come through tonight during this pressure game. Sure, and I still believe in the Tooth Fairy!

Okay, there's always Mo. But, the game is about to start. Pettite is on the mound today, and he's has a tough job ahead of him -- avoid a sweep.

I'm still and will always be a true Astros fan, and I have to cheer my 'Stros on.

I have to believe luck will turn our way soon.