Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Yanks 6, Birds 3

This is the sort of win I thought the Yanks incapable of a week ago: give up a few cheap runs, swing wiidly, hit line drives straight at opponents' gloves, go quietly into that night.

Well, not tonight.

A-Rod's RBI single late, with the bases loaded, seemed a case of too little, too late--right up until the next inning, when Damon went over the wall in right to tie it. Then we felt it--yes, the Yankees would win this one. The Yankees that roared out of the All-Star break were back, at least for tonight.

And, oh, yes, the Red Sox lost.

Four in that loss column.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I HATE when someone waxes poetically over a great win and utters something like..."this could be that type of gutsy win we look back on that was the catalyst to winning the AL East."

But I didn't say I HATE when that someone is me!

All right I'm not saying this win is that big, but heading into the series with the Sox and the fact they lost, this was a BIG win.

Johnny Damon was due for some late inning heroics. And he delivered. Even if he does "throw like Mary."

texasyank said...

A cushion always helps.