Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Wee Willie Abreu

I made the mistake last night of assuming that Abreu has been laying down bunts since Pony League, straight up until last night. Texasyank correspondent SunDevilJoe sets me straight:

Abreu's sacrifice was noteworthy as reported in the Star Ledger....

"Bobby Abreu had not sacrificed in more than eight years, so when he got the bunt sign last night from Yankees third-base coach Larry Bowa, he had to make sure. "He gave me a double look," Bowa said.
It was his first sacrifice bunt since July 19, 1998."


So I stand corrected. SDJ goes on to comment:

Last night's game can give you a lot of confidence because they played the game the way it's supposed to be played. I hate to be too overconfident but, a week from today, Boston could really be looking up at us in the standings from a distance.


Here's hoping.

No comments: