Monday, August 14, 2006

Yankees 7, Angels 2

Confession: I didn't know there was a Yanks-Halos game today. Yesterday bummed me out so badly I just didn't bother checking.

Having said that: this is the sort of game the Yanks used to play in the glory years, 1996-2001. right up to the bottom of the ninth of the seventh game:

1. Strong starting pitching

2. Timely hitting late

3. Suffocating set-up men

4. Mo Rivera

5. Thanks for coming

I'm starting to come around to Abreu batting third, simply because of what he can do. When Jeter bunted for a base hit in the seventh, sending Damon to second, I thought, Crap the bunt is on, but it's Giambi, who couldn't even HANG bunting from the upper deck in October . . .

Ah! No. Abreu. Who bunts . . .

. . . Opening up first base for an intentional walk by a right-hander to Giambi . . .

. . . to get to A-Rod.

I mean, so this is what it has come to. My heart sank--I confess I was expecting a double play.

Instead, A-Rod misses a grand slam by six feet. An out, but enough to bring the winning run home.

Kardiac Kyle goes three-up, three-down, setting up Mo against the bottom of the order.

Jorge's homer sealed it. No way Mo gives up a two-run lead to the dead-end kids.

Everything else, gravy. But nice.

And how about Posada's handling of Unit?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too did not think there was a game yesterday, at least not against the Angels. As a matter of fact, on ESPN radio Sunday (I had a long drive from "Liberal Land aka Santa Cruz"), it was stated more than once that Sunday was the"rubber game".

Abreu's sacrafice was noteworthy as reported in the Star Ledger....


"Bobby Abreu had not sacrificed in more than eight years, so when he got the bunt sign last night from Yankees third-base coach Larry Bowa, he had to make sure. "He gave me a double look," Bowa said.
It was his first sacrifice bunt since July 19, 1998."

Last nights game can give you a lot of confidence because they played the game the way it's supposed to be played. I hate to be too overconfident but, a week from today, Boston could really be looking up at us in the standings from a distance.

texasyank said...

Which makes you my first correspondent, SDJ. Thanks!